Jumping Horses for Sale near Philippi, WV

Post Free Ad
Advanced Search
Paint Mare
Dawn McCue ("Falcon") is a talented, athletic, and smart mare that would ma..
Oakland, Maryland
Black Overo
Paint
Mare
-
Oakland, MD
MD
$5,800
1

About Philippi,WV

The first white settlement in present-day Barbour County was established about 3 miles downriver from the future site of Philippi in 1780, at which time the area was still part of western Virginia and included within Monongalia County. The earliest settlers on the section of bottomland that would one day become Philippi were William Anglin (as early as 1783 or '84) and Daniel Booth (1787). A ford existed here as early as 1789 which served the road that had recently been surveyed between Beverly and Sandy Creek. Anglin was the original owner of the land upon which Philippi stands, hence the earliest known name for the locality — Anglin's Ford. Booth also owned and operated a commercial ferry here in the 1790s, thus the area's second popular designation — Booth's Ferry.