Red Roan HorseNext Ad »
3 (1 - calm; 10 - spirited)
Quarter Horse Stallion for Sale in Dos Palos, CA
Need a quick sale, great calm broke trail ridding horse malloreecaygle@ yahoo.com
About Dos Palos, CA
In one of his expeditions during the 1820s along the west side of the San Joaquin Valley, explorer Gabriel Moraga reported the location of two large isolated poplar trees, which he called "Dos Palos." In 19th-century Spanish usage, "palos" was used to describe tall pole-like trees or "timbers". 21st-century usage often translates it as "sticks." The " Rancho Sanjon de Santa Rita" Mexican Land Grant cites "Los Dos Palos" or "The Two Trees" as a boundary marker. In 1891, former school superintendent Bernhard Marks convinced cattle ranch king Henry Miller to develop a small town nearby. They gave it the name "Dos Palos Colony" but pronounced it with their Alsatian German accent as "Dahce Palace." This pronunciation remained for over one hundred years until a recent Spanish pronunciation revival. Marks brought forty pioneer families west from Iowa and Nebraska to establish the community.