Articles: Press Release
56TH Annual Pennsylvania National Horse Show
Heidi Hill 230-8833
Thursday, October 11, 2001
THEY'RE OFF AND JUMPING
It's a repeat, but hardly repetitious. Sixteen-year-old Maggie Jayne of
Wellington, FL, won the speed phase of the $5000 Black Entertainment
Television (BET)/American Horse Show Association (AHSA) National Individual
Championship for the second year, running!
And run she and her almost pony-sized mount, Kinda Blue, did. "He's
amazing!" she beamed. "He's naturally fast and tidy." Their time was nearly
3 seconds faster than second placed Cohiba.
Her plan was simple: "Get a clean round. That's what I really wanted
because only the faults (time penalties and knockdowns) will carry over to
Prix De States Championship tomorrow." Jayne rides for the Zone 4 team,
representing riders from the Southeast.
Of the 34 riders who tried the course, 11 went clean with time, instead
of a jump-off, determining the winner. Three riders were disqualified. The
course, designed by Richard Jeffery of Dorset, England, while not pushing the
4'6" height limitation, did offer riders a chance to show their skills.
"It was a more traditional course, not a speed course with lots of twists
and turns," Jeffery said. "The emphasis was on jumping. It's the same horse
for three days. If you scare them today, you'll get worse jumping tomorrow
and even worse on Saturday. It's their first time indoors, so I try to give
both horse and rider some confidence."
The $7500 BET/AHSA Junior Jumper Prix De States, one of the few junior
team competitions in the country will be tomorrow at 8 p.m. as Junior Weekend
of the PA National Horse Show continues at the Farm Show Arena.
- Kinda Blue, ridden by Maggie Jayne, owned by Alex Jayne, Wellington, Fl
- Cohiba, ridden by Morgan Fauth, owned by Winston Stables, Minneapolis, MN
- Intersat Floyd, ridden by Melissa Orlick, owned by Lynn Zbierski, Lake
- Marina, owned and ridden by Anna McKnight, Monkton, MD
- Nighty, ridden by Andrew Ramsay, owned by Shalanno Farms
- Calino De Lezeaux, owned and ridden by Brooke Johansen
- Rio's Riccarda, ridden by Lara Gay, owned by RCG Farm
- Amiral, owned and ridden by Alexa Weeks, Southport,CT
- Dominique, owned and ridden by Paige Johnson and Salamander Farm of
- ZMax, owned and ridden by Meghan Moran