Articles: Press Release
Chris Kappler and Royal Kaliber Win the Budweiser American Invitational
With the Only Double Clear Round
Mason Phelps, Jr. or Beverly Lake Wilkes at (561) 753-3389 or at
Tampa, FL March 29, 2003 The $200,000 Budweiser American
Invitational had 30 horse and rider combinations attempt the course.
Steve Stephens designed the course, which had a triple combination that
was difficult for a number of horses.
In the first round, one horse was eliminated and two entries voluntarily
withdrew. The sixth horse to compete was Eric Lamaze of Canada riding
Rosina. This pair produced the first clear round but unfortunately had 2
time faults for a total of 2 faults on course. The course at this point
looked difficult with a slightly tight time.
The 13th horse to challenge the course was Priobert de Kalvarie with
Leslie Howard and they were the first combination to produce a clean
round. Others qualifying for the jump off included Markus Beerbaum with
Royal Discovery; Jeffery Welles and Ursa Major; Anne Kursinski and Eros;
Meredith Beerbaum and Shutterfly; Chris Kappler and Royal Kaliber;
Candice King and Gosse DOrion. Two riders representing Germany
husband and wife Markus and Meredith Beerbaum made the jump off. The
other 5 riders were representing the U.S.
In the jump off, Leslie Howard and Priobert de Kalvarie were first to go
and had a stop, finishing with 12 faults plus 18 time faults. Karen
Cudmore was second in the order and had only 4 faults in a time of
45.266 seconds with Conejo. Markus Beerbaum and Royal Discovery were
next and had 12 faults plus 14 time faults. Jeffery Welles and Ursa
Major followed with 8 faults and a time of 42.056 seconds. Anne
Kursinski and Eros had 4 faults and a time of 43.780 seconds. Next in
the order, Merdith Beerbaum and Shutterfly had 4 faults also and a fast
time of 42.409 seconds. Then, Chris Kappler and Royal Kaliber had the
first clean round in the jump off. Last to go in the jump off was
Candice King and Gosse DOrion they produced 8 faults in a time of
Photos available upon request.
- Chris Kappler on Royal Kaliber owner Kathy Kamine & Chris
- Meredith Beerbaum on Shutterfly owner Hyperion Farm
- Anne Kursinski on Eros owner The Eros Group
- Karen Cudmore on Conejo owner Blair Cudmore
- Jeffery Welles on Ursa Major owner M/M Fred Croft & High Dunes
- Candice King on Gosse DOrion owner Louisburg Farm
- Markus Beerbaum on Royal Discovery owner M/M Bertam R.
- Leslie Howard on Priobert de Kalvarie owner Higher Ground Farm
- Eric Lamaze on Rosina owner Stoneyhill
- Kevin Babington on Carling King owner Kindle Hill Farm
- Norman Dello Joio on Glasgow owner The Glasgow Group
- Jimmy Torano on Aguila owner Sir Ruly, Inc.